Sooo… how many of you proposed over Valentine’s Day? Well done! But before you dive head-on into marriage, here are a few gloomy facts you might want to know first!
5. Are you going to be an unfaithful spouse? 6 out of 10 couples stay together even if their spouse is unfaithful!
But we think this is a dormant volcano waiting to explode. (Data by TOUCH Family Services)
4. There is a rise in couples splitting within 5 years of marriage
3. If you have been married for 5 – 9 years, better not be lax on your marriage: your chances of divorce is high!
2. “Unreasonable behaviour” is another way to say “you cheating bastard!”
1. Aged above 35? Congratulations! Your divorce rate is trending!
But it’s not all doomy and gloomy. Here are some facts to keep you cheery!
5. If you’re a male between 25 – 29 and a professional, you’re in luck
4. Here’s a captain obvious moment: the better educated you are, the better your chances
3. There’s a Chinese saying “门当户对” (same class/status marry better), the stats show it is true.
Except if you’re working in the “Production & related workers” line – why this is an outlier we don’t know.
2. If you’re divorced, your chances of remarrying has increased
One in four marriages last year involved at least one partner remarrying. This is up from one in five marriages a decade ago. There were 6,943 such marriages last year, an almost 60 per cent jump from the 4,385 in 2001.
1. Mixed race marriages are increasing
In 2012, one in five marriages (19.8 per cent) was an inter-ethnic union, up from one in eight (12.6 per cent) in 2001. There were 5,388 such marriages in 2012, almost double the 2,814 in 2001.