I’m not sure how many of you have heard about Fishing Ball’s Douglas Ng’s rant. Here’s what it is about in bullet points:
1.) Douglas didn’t get invited to bid for an outlet at FoodFare
2.) He didn’t get invited because his price exceeded FoodFare’s requirement
3.) He throws a fit because he can’t get that outlet
4.) He pins the blame on the government, on FoodFare and even on Minister Vivian Balakrishnan… accusing them of destroying the hawker culture in Singapore
He’s upset that FoodFare didn’t even try his tasty fishballs and flat out refused him an outlet.
You see: Douglas simply didn’t meet FoodFare’s requirements.
To meet FoodFare’s requirements, you need to meet a score. 40% of the score comes from the tendered rent. The other 60% will be awarded for quality, variety, selling price, operating hours, experience and concept.
If this was an exam, it means you failed.
Even if you failed by 1 point, you still failed – and it has nothing to do with the quality of your food. His fishballs could have been blended from abalone or boiled in liquid gold – it doesn’t matter, he failed on a mix of (too high a) price, operating hours, experience, concept and tender.
Now, why must Douglas have to, have to, have to have that outlet and by FoodFare? NTUC FoodFare is not your typical hawker center or foodcourt, they are charged with a mission of trying to keep prices as low as possible.
And then he goes on and lobbies KF Seetoh to cook up a storm about how the government is not doing enough to help the hawker culture, killing our local food etc…etc…
Our hawkers came from a line of resilient businessmen. Once upon a time there wasn’t even hawker centers to start with. People cooked on streets and made food to the best of their abilities. They perfected their art, they made themselves famous…they never bitched about how they were made a victim by all the world.
If Douglas and his fishballs were any good, he would be able to sell anywhere to anyone. There would be no need to launch a hissy fit and there would be no need to kick up an imaginary fuss about how local food is “dying”.
But if his motive is just to be a media whore, well, then he’s got it.