There are 2 distinct groups of that contribute to a declining TFR.
1) More and more people are remaining single, or getting married later
2) Married couple are not having enough babies
Let’s discuss about the first group. i.e. Singaporeans who decide to remain single or get married at a later date. I did an informal survey with my peers who are not married and here’s the feedback.
- Too busy with work, no time to find girlfriend/boyfriend
- Cost of living is too high, can’t even fend for themselves.
- Not mentally ready to accept the responsibilities that comes with marriage
- Fear of losing freedom after marriage
What other concerns do you face? Raise it here and let’s speak up for each other.