Singaporeans’ favourite cow bae (or rather Brahman bull) better known as Coney Island Cow (CIC), has died. MOOOOO BOOOOO
why ARE WE REPORTING THIS?
The interesting tragic part of the story is that CIC didn’t die of natural causes nor was it hunted for beef patties.
It died because it could not be revived after it was sedated for blood and fecal samples to be taken during its annual health check.
OF course, our cow-loving netizens have something to say…
Murderers. You guys are murderers!
Big Mac, Whopper, you name it, we eat it.
Actions speak louder than words. Memorial service was quickly organised.
She totally saw it coming.
I’m hope he meant it as a metaphor, else, sorry uncle and auntie.
Kangsheng for president!
you didn’t ask me but…
I really wonder how many of these netizens have met CIC in real life. Would they even notice the difference if we had replaced it with a substitute cow? Do they really love him this much, or are they just opposing for the sake of opposing?
Many might feel that the health check was unnecessary. I mean, the cow has lived some 15years without a health check. If there was no check, there wouldn’t be any sedation done, and maybe it wouldn’t have died?
It might seem unimportant to most of us urban dwellers where the only animals we often get in contact with are probably the occasional stray cats and your neighbour’s dogs, but truth be told, animal-to-human diseases are very very real.
“Diseases that can be transmitted between animals and humans, such as bird flu and tuberculosis, can wreak havoc on the health of both organisms. Now researchers have found 13 so-called zoonoses are responsible for 2.2 million human deaths every year.”
Some might argue that they will not get infected since they are not consuming its meat or having sexual intercourse with it. But did you know for example, Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease of humans and animals that is transmitted through contaminated water and urine or other body fluids from an infected animal?
More importantly, the Leptospira spp. bacteria can infect cows, pigs, sheep, goats, horses, and small rodents, and they may not have any signs of illness.
My personal stand is this – since the island is open to public visits, it is therefore the responsibility of the National Parks Board and relevant agencies to ensure safety. It is unfortunate that the CIC passed away, but, it would have been more unfortunate if something dire had happened to one of us.